Monday, October 10, 2011

DEV - Building up force

I started with some more research on Unity and Networking in a web player. My conclusion: It's impossible. Unity just won't allow me to create a TCP server.

On Monday morning, Martijn came barging in and suggested we'd try hosting our own standalone server on the school network. We'd just have to talk to someone from tech-support. Or so we thought. At tech-support, they sent us to web-support. Sure, no problem. After explaining our situation there again, we were asked to come back the next day, because Ernst wasn't at school at that time. So we returned the next day. Apparently they already had a little chat about our situation and decided we'd better try it upstairs, with the head of the school networking stuff, Emile. Yet again, the person we needed wasn't at school. Perhaps we could return the next day. So of course, we did. Still no Emile, but we got his email address, so if we'd mail our question to him, everything would be all right. Well, no. Apparently, school usually doesn't do this kind of stuff. And that's about the end of story. I'm afraid I'm going to be stuck with Unity once again.

In the physics department, things are going a little better. I've got my ball rolling through applying force on the top of the ball, as if there were a person standing on top of it. I also got a nice, quite realistic gravity working. So now I'm up for my next challenge, making the ball roll down a hill and preventing the ball from intersecting with the terrain.

No comments:

Post a Comment