Monday, October 24, 2011

DEV - Physics, Hyves API and Gameplay

The physics are still kind of problematic for me. I'm beginning to grasp some of the stuff, but it's still hard for me to use it in the right way. On a flat terrain, my ball is rolling smoothly and when I place my ball on top of a hill, it starts rolling down using a percentage of the gravity. However, the ball is unable to go back up the hill, because it doesn't keep track of it's directional force yet. I wrote down some kind of idea to do that, but I just felt like I had to work on other stuff first or I'd go mad.

So I thought I'd work on the Hyves API, that didn't seem too hard. Well, think again. It's not very well documented. At least, not for a Hyvertising game. They want me to get a logintoken and use my consumer key and secret to generate a unique signature so I can get my authorization token...
Wait, what? How do I get that logintoken? Well, yeah, it's in your iFrame, good luck. Right, iFrame, got it, they hid it in the link... So, how do I calculate this signature of yours? More importantly, why isn't Unity getting any response from the Hyves API? It's done the call, but I don't see any response. I don't see any errors either, so it must be good, right? What if I'd try to use the call directly in my browser? Error...
So why isn't Unity doing anything? Well apparently, in a web player, Unity is only allowed to make a call to pages on the same site as the web player is hosted. Ah. Well, that sucks. So I have to call a web page on the same site which in turn calls the Hyves API and sends the result back to Unity. Fair enough, done that.

By the time I finally got this done, the Hyves API was driving me crazy, so I decided to do something more useful for now. Create gameplay. That's what I've been doing these last two days and finally things are going well. You can grab a key, you can capture points and you can almost bump into each other and rob him of the key. So once that's done, we can finally start playtesting with my gameplay and Gor's physics.

No comments:

Post a Comment